AKHSD membership fees are due and payable in January, membership dues for 2016 are now past due. They can be mailed to: AKHSD Anthia Austin, Membership chair PO Box 21561 El Cajon, CA 92021
E Ho`olaha I Ka Pono O Ka Hawai’i
“To Spread the Goodness of the Hawaiian”
Aloha mai kakou,
E kala mai that you have not had news from AKHSD. Trying to juggle responsibilities and AKHSD has been a little difficult but we are getting back on track:
- April 29, 2016, AKHSD sponsored Ku’e Petition Continues Presentation with Dr. Lynertte Cruz, Carol Kamakona, Noeleen Caledeira and Clare Apana.
- April 30- May 1, 2016 – Participated at San Diego Hoolaulea in the Hawaiian Village teaching lauhala bracelet weaving.
- May 29, 2016 Sponsored Visual Presentation Aha Aloha `Aina by Ku Kahakalau.
- May 19, 2016- Pelekikena D Crawford guest speaker at Northrum Grumman Luncheon Luau honoring Asian Pacific Islander Heritage Month.
- May 21, 2016- 3rd Annual America on Main Street in El Cajon. We had a lei booth, sold fresh flower lei’s. shell lei, yarn. lei ribbon lei, seed and candy leis.
- May 22, 2016, Participant in the Opening Ceremonies of Na Hulu Ali’i, Royal Featherwork at the Los Angeles Museum of Art.
- May 24, 2016 – E Hele Kakou /Walk and Talk Group, – Health Committee Event. Meets twice a week, Call Dolly for info. 619 447-8567.
- June 4, 2016 – Quarterly General Meeting, awarded 5 academic scholarships and 3 David Mallow Cultural Scholarships. Guest Speakers Healani Sonoda-Pale speaking on the Aha Aloha Aina & Professor John Kalei Laimana speaking on Hawaiian Governance.
- June 24-25, 2016 five club members attended Native Hawaiian & Pacific Islander Health Summit, Reducing Obesity and Related Chronic Diseases in Carson, CA.
- July 16-17 2016 Hoolaulea at Lawndale Ca. Craft Booths, Mahalo, Denise and Ohana.
AKHSD continues with monthly Lei Hulu Classes, by Lokelani Riechert, Lei Hulu of California. We meet every 4th Sunday at the Hui o Hawaii Building from 1-4PM Remaining classes of the year at the Hui are August 28th, October 23rd, and November 27th.
AKHSD Annual Fundraiser at the Pacific Islander Festival, Sept, 24 & 25, 2016. Our Food booth always need help and Donations. We could use donations of Rice, Aloha Shoyu, Macaroni, and Mayonnaise. Anthia Austin Chairperson, 619-672-1215.
Association of Hawaiian Civic Clubs Convention will be held at the Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas, November 13-20. If you have never attended one this one is in Las Vegas!!!
Mahalo Nui for your continued support, without your kokua AKHSD would not be able to do all we do for our Hawaiian Community!
Thank you to all who attended the “E Hele Kokua” meet up! We had a nice walk! Aunty Tee and Aunty Anthia walked father than they thought they could! 1 mile! Aunty Grace is the road runner out of the group and walked about two miles. Even Aunty Dolly got an extra walk in after walking earlier in the morning at the mall. Aunty Nona provided her presence as we talk story about healthy life style changes! Great job everyone!
Our next meet up will be Tuesday, May 31, 2016. Please come join us! The directions to park is posted on the flyer in the previous post. We will be moving the meet ups around to different locations in the San Diego area.
“E Hele Kākou!”
‘Ahahui Kiwila Hawai’i O San Diego Wednesday, May 18th at 10:00 AM
At the Hui O’ Hawai’i club house
752 Grand Ave. Spring Valley, CA 91977
Light Exercise for Wahine & Kane +
Talk Story Healthy Eating Tips
* Light Hula Exercises Program Compliments of WINCART
and Jane Ka`ala Pang of Pacific Islander Health Partnership
Contact: Aunty Dolly Crawford at firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you familiar with the Kuʻe Petition? Do you know if your kupuna signed this petition? Would you like to put your signature next to theirs?? The members and friends of Ahahui Kiwila Hawai’i O San Diego and Ka Lei Maile Ali’i Hawaiian Civic Clubs invite your kokua and participation this Friday, April 29th to the Hui o Hawaiʻi. This is a chance to add your name next to those who stood in solidarity for their beloved nation and opposed annexation. Please see the attached flyer for location and time of the presentation and information event. If you are not able to attend on Friday, the wahine of Ka Lei Maile Aliʻi Hawaiian Civic Clubs will have a booth at this weekends San Diego Ho’olaule’a at De Anza Cove.